Thursday, March 4, 2010

sleepless nights & cookie crumbles



I haven't slept much since the accident, and as much more as I am beginning to become a little more relaxed about the situation, I'm still not sleeping. Insomnia has never been uncommon for me, but I think now I am worried if I fall asleep, it's because it means I will have become used to hearing Floyd's abnormal breathing. I'm one of those people that shares their bed with their dog, rather, I am one of those people that doesn't want to disturb the sleeping dog in their bed, so I am one of those people that curls up on the corner of their bed, while their dog sleeps comfortably, splayed diagonally across the bed. It's even worse when the cat's around (more about Bronson, soon).

I made cookies the other night for the dogs, and Floyd is just LOViNG them, so I figured I had better write the recipe down before I forget. I had never made dog cookies before, and after looking at piles of online recipes, I realized I could probably just throw in whatever I had lying around.

Cupboard Cookies
2 c Flour
1 c Oats
1 finely chopped apple
1 egg including shell (I may be vegan, but my pets are not)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp ground flax
1 crumbled nori sheet (I never make sushi but had the seaweed.. so what the heck)
2 tbsp agave syrup or honey
tiny bit of water

mix everything together, until a dough is formed, then knead and roll out on a floured surface to 1/4" thickness. cut into whatever shape you want. i didn't have any cookie cutters, so i started using a heart shaped measuring spoon as a cutter.. quickly grew bored of having to coax the dough out of the measuring spoon, and ended up just putting blobs of dough onto a greased cookie sheet (like the dogs are going to care what shape the cookies are, right?).


20-30 mins in a 350 oven. I then turned the oven off, and left the cookies in there to harden.

I have never seen Floyd go so crazy for a treat that wasn't a piece of meat, and I am not really sure what specifically he thinks is so delicious about these cookies. I will admit I have been tempted to try one, but whenever I consider it, I am suddenly struck by flashbacks of my childhood, sitting on the kitchen floor, fishing around for milkbones in the bottom cupboard, convincing myself the green ones tasted best... then biting into one, and wondering what the hell I was doing. But these cookies do have Floyd's seal of approval!

I found the most recipes at:

http://www.thepoop.com/

and

http://www.all-natural-dog-treat.com


Floyd seems to be having another doggy dream, and in the other room I can hear Cuca "whooping" the way she does when she is chasing axe murdering squirrels in her sleepy head, so I best take this as my cue to at least try and join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment